What is a “transport accident”?

The term “transport accident” is defined in the Transport Accident Act 1986 (“the Act”) – the legislation that governs the operation of the Transport Accident Scheme in Victoria.  A Victorian transport accident is defined as an “incident directly caused by the driving of a motor car or motor vehicle, a railway train or a tram”.

What is the Transport Accident Commission (TAC)?

The TAC is the Government owned agency that was set up to administer the transport accident scheme. The Transport Accident Act 1986 established the TAC.  The Act also governs the operations of the TAC and the administration of TAC claims. Under the Act, the TAC is required to pay no fault compensation to those injured in transport accidents, to provide rehabilitation … Read More

Who is covered by the Transport Accident Scheme?

A person who is injured as a result of a transport accident is entitled to no fault benefits under the transport accident scheme if: • the accident occurred in Victoria; or • the accident occurred outside Victoria (but in Australia) and involved a Victorian registered motor vehicle and at the time of the accident the injured person was: • a … Read More

Are medical and like expenses covered?

Yes.  Ambulance bills are covered. Public and private hospital bills are covered. All medical and like expenses, radiology and pharmaceuticals are paid by TAC. Previously a medical excess of $ 651.00 applied if a claimant was not admitted as an inpatient to hospital.  This excess had to be paid by the claimant before TAC paid non-hospital medical and like expenses.  … Read More

When do medical expense payments from the TAC cease?

TAC has a legal obligation to continue funding reasonable, accident related hospital, medical and like expenses indefinitely. The payment of a lump sum impairment benefit or common law damages does not bring this entitlement to an end. However, if TAC considers that medical treatment is unrelated to injuries a claimant may have sustained in the accident, it can refuse to fund … Read More

Is lost income covered by the TAC?

TAC has an obligation to pay income benefits to an injured accident victim.  Income support typically continues for up to three years. after the accident. Loss of Earnings (LOE) If you were an earner before the accident and you are unable to work on account of your injuries you are eligible to income benefits.   In the first 18 months the … Read More

When do income benefits cease?

LOE benefits cease 18 months after the accident. LOEC benefits cease 3 years after the accident except in cases where the accident victim’s level of permanent impairment is determined by TAC at 50% or more, in which case the entitlement ceases upon the accident victim reaching normal retirement age subject to some conditions. In a practical sense, LOE and LOEC benefits will also … Read More

Does TAC pay lump sum compensation?

Yes. TAC pays a no fault lump sum benefit called an “impairment benefit” to eligible accident victims. As the Compulsory Third Party Insurer of all Victorian registered motor vehicles, TAC also pays lump sum awards of common law damages to seriously injured transport accident victims.

What is an impairment benefit?

An impairment benefit is a no fault lump sum payment designed to compensate for pain and suffering. To be eligible to receive an impairment lump sum payment, your level of impairment, expressed as a percentage of the whole body/person, must exceed 10%. The impairment percentage is calculated by TAC after having you examined by medical specialists who have successfully completed … Read More