What is the impairment benefit worth?

Accidents before 16 December 2004 In the case of accident victims injured in transport accidents occurring before 16 December 2004, the impairment benefit is worth approximately $1,190.56 for each impairment percentage point over 10.  No impairment benefit is payable for the first 10 impairment points. Accordingly, an impairment score of 20% would produce an impairment benefit of approximately $11,905.56.  The maximum that … Read More

When is an impairment benefit paid?

It used to be paid at the 18 month anniversary of the accident. However, due to a recent amendment to the Transport Accident Act, interim impairment benefits can now be paid to accident victims at any time commencing 3 months after the accident. Provided an injury is stable, TAC can assess and determine the impairment applicable to that injury and pay … Read More

What happens if TAC makes a decision you don’t agree with?

When TAC makes a decision concerning an entitlement to any no fault benefit, if you are unhappy about the decision, you have a period of 12 months within which to challenge that decision by means of an appeal to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). The 12 month period commences when you are notified of the decision, that is, … Read More

What if I am injured in a transport accident in the course of my employment?

If you are injured in an accident that occurs in the course of your employment, other than when you are travelling to or from work, you are not entitled to receive TAC benefits. In these circumstances, you are entitled to receive benefits under the WorkCover Scheme. For further information regarding WorkCover claims we recommend obtaining legal advice from expert WorkCover … Read More

What if I was driving an unregistered vehicle?

If you were the driver of a vehicle owned by you which is unregistered and you are injured in a transport accident, you would be ineligible to receive income/LOE benefits for the first 18 months after the accident. You would otherwise be entitled to receive all other no fault benefits.

What if I was driving and had been drinking?

If you were the driver and suffered injuries in the accident your entitlement to receive income/LOE benefits in the first 18 months will be reduced by 1/3 if your blood alcohol level was more than .05% but less that .12%. There will be a 2/3 reduction if the reading was .12% or more but less than .24%. No benefit is … Read More

What if I was driving whilst unlicensed?

The driver of a vehicle involved in a transport accident who at the time of the accident was unlicensed or their licence was suspended, is not entitled to income/LOE benefits in the first 18 months after the accident. Otherwise, the person is entitled to all of the other no fault benefits.

What if the accident was my own fault?

The TAC Scheme is essentially a “no fault” scheme. Accordingly, even if the accident was your own fault you may still be entitled to no fault benefits. You would not be entitled to pursue a common law claim or recover common law damages unless you could prove that someone else was at fault.

Do I have to live in Australia to be covered by TAC?

No. Overseas residents can make a TAC claim if the transport accident in which they were injured occurs in Victoria.  TAC will be liable to cover any medical or treatment expenses incurred within Australia however, TAC is not liable to pay any hospital, medical or like expenses incurred outside Australia. TAC also has a liability to pay income benefits, LOE and LOEC benefits, to … Read More

Is compensation payable for death?

Yes.  A dependant of a person who dies as a result of a transport accident is entitled to receive a lump sum payment and a weekly loss of dependency benefit. The weekly benefit is payable for a period of 5 years or until the youngest dependant child completes full time education, which ever last occurs The maximum weekly benefit payable is … Read More